Friday 18 April 2014

Fable Anniversary! The reboot of a much loved Original Xbox game


Some of the first blog posts I made were of the history of computers, dating back from the 1850s to the present day. This was all leading to one final post on a personal enquiry into something that interests us in games or the gaming industry historically or otherwise. 

I thought about this a lot and I had a hard time trying to decide what to write mine on as it has to 1000  words and something I find interesting and can talk about in detail.
The art direction task given to us a few weeks ago before the Easter break gave me an idea; to write my personal enquiry on Fable Anniversary, a very recent release from Lionhead Studios. I got the idea as from my previous post you can see that I did my presentation on Fable 3. This got me thinking, why don't I write my personal enquiry on not only a game I love and have previously talked about in depth, but also something really interesting. 


This is where Fable Anniversary comes in. Lionhead Studios, the creators of the Fable series recently made a reboot of the original xbox game Fable, the first of the series. 
The gameplay is the same, even the interface. However it's released on the Xbox 360, a next gen console with the capability to process quicker and with higher quality. 

So this is the first of three posts on my personal enquiry. In this post I research into the topic briefly and make a few points that I plan to talk about in the final post. 




"FOR EVERY CHOICE, A CONSEQUENCE.

Fully re-mastered with HD visuals and audio, Fable Anniversary is a stunning rendition of the original game that will delight faithful fans and new players alike! Imagine a world where every choice and action determines what you become."


The idea of fully remastering the original game: 

What was the original goal with a remake like this, what did you want to achieve?

"Initially we really wanted to just remake the whole thing. But then once we worked out it would take about three years we realised it wasn’t viable. And that’s not really what the fans would want. The fans want a nice excuse to play through the original again. The feedback that we’ve had so far is that they’re ecstatic. I have that feeling towards a lot of games myself, like Halo – it blew my mind. I can relate to the fans’ feelings."


The video below shows a direct comparison of the Original Fable and Fable Anniversary. 




Other points to make: 

  • Change in visual quality
  • Why the change is so dramatic 
  • Texture budget
  • Processing differences
  • Actual in game change
  • Interface
  • Feedback
  • Fan reviews


References: 


No comments:

Post a Comment