Sunday 25 January 2015

Texturing Assets and Stuff

This week the level changed pretty dramatically. After the “Dragons Den” review session we had decided to take their advice and shrink the size of our level so we wouldn't have as much work and we could actually finish in time as this is quite a short project to build a whole interactive level.

The level is now more underground as it has a terrain roof so to speak which gives the level a dramatic feeling and some interesting lighting. I think the level is definitely more interesting and very fun to play now. 





This week I spent most of my time texturing the assets I had made. This was fairly simple and easy but was slightly time consuming which is a pain as we were still kind of behind.
To texture all the assets I decided as this was a realistic project hand painting textures wasn’t the best idea as I can’t paint too realistically. So instead I used cg textures and photo-manipulated the images I downloaded off of the website.
I think this worked pretty well as I think the assets look pretty good with their final textures on.







When texturing the main assets I started with the albedo texture. It mainly consisted of photo-manipulated images to make the bulk of the textures however I added small details like dirt and rust by hand painting it on top. After making the albedo I moved on to the height map so I could make a normal map from it, I changed the albedo to black and white and then changed the levels and hand painted some details so I could get the texture and bumps I wanted on the normal map.

Moving on from those maps I made the final map which is the roughness map, this is fairly easy and just requires some hand painted scratches and damage marks. I generally don’t make a metallness map if it isn’t needed however as there were metallic objects in the assets I made one, it only makes a subtle difference but it’s worth it.

As part of the assets I had made a crane however it wouldn’t fit on a 1024 texture sheet with the other assets so I put it on a 512 and it turned out alright. I went through the same process as I did with the generic assets so it was a fairly quick process. Throughout texturing I was constantly importing assets into UE4 and checking how the textures looked and adjusting them appropriately.








I also textured the market stall I had modelled. As we didn’t have a big texture budget for this project we decided to reuse the same 2 textures for the general containers and as part of other buildings like my market stall and the fishmongers. This meant I only had to textures the add on parts of the market stall so this was the front of the stall, the table, crates, food, and signs. As with the other assets I made the albedo then the normal map and the roughness.







Thankfully I got all the texturing done in this week which was to schedule. This leaves next week to finish stuff off and make sure everything is in engine and to make more assets or textures if needed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment