Saturday 18 October 2014

Modelling and Texturing Is My Life (thank god for PBR)


This week carried on with the Film Room Project. This meant lots of modelling, texturing and hours spent fixing problems with perspective, tri count and getting those all important textures just right.

Another Dragon's Den session was also scheduled for this week which required a presentation from us on what we've done so far and where we will be according to the time scale and deadline. This gave us a chance to have feedback on our work so far meaning we could make any necessary changes with enough time to finish for the deadline. 

So for this week's Dragon's Den we all talked about and presented the concepts we had drawn up and the models we had made so far which were well received.
The main issue arose when we showed our white box, the tutors pointed out very quickly that the perspective and camera angle was completely off. 


original screencap

white box


We really figured this out when we pulled up the white box against the screen cap we were replicating, we could all easily see that the camera was way too high up compared to the actual shot. After the session we immediately fixed this problem and now the perspective is correct. So it shows that these Dragon's Den sessions are very helpful and really told us what the next task to do was. 

Throughout the week I carried on with modelling the assets I had been given, these were the ceiling light, vase and the french horn case. Modelling the assets was actually pretty straight forward for the most part, the ceiling light was super easy and quite fun to do, and the vase was very simplistic. However the french horn case was a bit of pain, the shape of it meant I had tried many ways of replicating it. Some using a cylinder and a box and trying to attach them together to create a nice fluid shape and another way was to completely strip model the whole thing, this meant I had gone through many iterations of this model to get the final just as I wanted it. 


first iterations


french horn case second iteration

After finishing modelling I had started to create the textures for them, however I had to stop after Mark had figured we'd gone over the tri budget by quite a bit, meaning we had to go back to our models and bring down the tri count. I had managed to lower all of my models by a significant amount and thankfully it didn't take very long at all. 


first iteration

lower poly

lower poly

However the hardest model to lower was the french horn case which took at least a couple of hours. I had to get rid of many swift loops and had to redo the topology so it still looked correct. I'm pretty proud of how low poly I managed to get it though, from 1300 to 400 roughly is pretty good! And it also kept its shape which I'm pleased about because for me it was a challenge to model in the first place. 

second iteration

lower poly

Fixing these problems meant I could then go back to texturing after re unwrapping the models. It's taken a few days but I'm actually done with the texturing ahead of schedule and I'm just tweaking the roughness maps to make each asset look just right. I plan to go into more detail on texturing in my next blog post so keep your eyes peeled for that, it's gonna be banging! 


No comments:

Post a Comment