Sunday 1 March 2015

We're Slowly Getting There

This week I’ve been carrying on with modelling my assets. I’m making good progress as I’ve almost got all my assets modelled.
I’m planning on modelling everything on my assets list then making assets that are more for detail and there to make the level look nice. Some of the smaller assets are there to reference the story tying to the level to the book even more, these act as only subtle references.

I managed to get pretty much all the modelling finished by the end of the week. I wanted to start texturing on the Monday however I only finished the modelling Friday, so I have set time next week to unwrap. I plan to be unwrapping for the first few days of the week so Monday and Tuesday at least. Thankfully I can have this extra time to unwrap as texturing will be a very easy task as we’re using block colour in our textures, there’s very little actual detail as it’s a very simple and faceted style.

Most of the models I have created are fairly large in their areas, however there are some smaller and more detailed assets which are yet to be finished.
One part of the level is the first area which includes “The Danby Gateway” in the background which is in the Oxford gardens. I modelled it from a reference image then played with the shape and style to make it more wacky and stylised. I had a number of iterations however I preferred it to look like the actual gateway but really faceted like our style. So this is the final outcome:



Another area that has some larger assets is the fountain area. Similarly to the gateway I used the actual fountain from the Oxford gardens as a reference to model this fountain. I kept it fairly simple and low poly so it would fit into our style. I made some other assets including a park bench and an outdoor vase of flowers which will be repeated around the fountain for decoration. Each of these assets have been modelled from references from the actual Oxford gardens so they are accurate but I make them stylised to adhere to our style guide.





I’ve also made the bridge to go over the canal in the background which is very faceted and stylised, however its only there in the background as the payer cannot walk over it. The player has to actually jump on punts to cross the canal which I have modelled from real punts in Oxford.




One area that has mainly small and simple assets is the rabbit hole. The assets for this area are taken directly from the story so we have a cupboard, hanging maps and an empty orange marmalade jar, however the area needed populating so I also modelled a wardrobe, a grandfather clock and a chair. I did also concept a bookcase into that area however other areas have a bookcase so it’s more efficient to reuse that asset instead of making another.


Here is my updated asset list, as you can see I’m almost done, most of the stuff I have left to do is small details and trees.



No comments:

Post a Comment